Performs skilled and Journey level troubleshooting, maintenance, repairs, fabrications, remodeling, and construction commonly represented by the licensed construction trades in maintaining and upgrading facilities, grounds, and equipment.
Three (3) years' experience in at least one of the constructions trades.
A valid Driver's License issued by the State of Utah may be required to operate a vehicle.
Some Departments may require a current Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) Medical Card at the time of hire AND/OR attainment of a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) within six (6) months of hire.
Due to the nature of this position, the successful applicant must pass a required background investigation.
Must receive a verified negative test result on a mandatory drug test before starting this position. May be subject to random alcohol and drug testing. May be subject to post accident and reasonable suspicion alcohol and drug testing.
It is mandatory that all new hires receive the Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria & Pertussis) vaccine before beginning employment or provide a copy of their immunization record prior to starting employment. The immunization record must show the vaccine name and date received.
Upon hire, a two-step Tuberculosis skin test will be required. The first will need to be placed prior to starting employment.
- Transports and operates light, medium, and heavy duty equipment.
- Operates and performs general maintenance on facility service vehicles and custodial and grounds equipment.
- Maintains and operates assigned hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
- Reads blueprints, schematics, hazard warnings, and safety instructions. Lays out jobs, makes rough sketches showing materials and dimensions, estimates labor, determines methods, material, and time requirements, and ensures that code requirements and safety regulations and safe work practices are followed.
- Prepares a variety of routine records and reports, maintains records of work requests and routine equipment maintenance and safety records.
- Assists with loading and unloading dock deliveries and shipments.
- Performs building maintenance which may include: travel ways, fabrication, rough and finish carpentry, dry walling, painting, repairing and replacing glass, light fixtures, outlet replacement, and specialized cleaning. Keeps alert for facility problems that could be safety or security issues.
- Orders and maintains stock of materials and supplies. Picks up and distributes cleaning supplies within facilities.
- Assembles/disassembles, designs, relocates, and repairs Steelcase partitions, work stations, shelving, and other office furniture.
- Maintains facility grounds which may include: cutting grass, weeding, watering, aerating, fertilizing, seeding turf, installing and maintaining sprinkler systems, trimming shrubbery, and snow removal.
- Constructs and maintains curbs, gutters, waterways, sidewalks, retaining walls, fences and flatwork.
- Changes exterior lights and parking lot lights, and performs parking lot striping, roof maintenance, and window cleaning.
- Electrical: Tests circuitry, appliances, and equipment for failure, diagnoses failure, replaces worn parts and otherwise restores equipment to operating condition; inspects, tests, and repairs transformers, circuit breakers, distribution relay meters, low voltage distribution system, motors, pumps, etc., using vibration analysis, infrared thermograph and electrical testing; performs all electrical maintenance and repair in buildings and grounds.
- Plumbing: Maintains and repairs centrifugal; overhauls and replaces all bearings and seals and rebuilds or replaces balance impellers; maintains and repairs filters including media, cartridge and housing for clogging, rupturing or seal failure; cleans strainers and maintains closing mechanisms on grease traps, tests and locates trouble and replaces defective parts such as valves, pipelines, faucets, floor drains and fixtures; clears obstructions in pipe systems; maintains industrial washers dryers, dishwashers, disposals, restrooms, and replaces fire sprinklers as necessary.
- HVAC and Air Compressors: Assists in maintenance and repair of direct exchange air conditioning units, split-system condensers, air handling units, fan coil units, fans, variable air volume terminals, heaters, chillers (centrifugal, reciprocating, and rotary screw), and smoke evacuation systems; maintains air compressors -- filter, oil and belt changes, moisture traps and tank drainage, tests for motor, coupling, seal, belt, bearing or relief valve failure, lubrication breakdown, tubing rupture and pressure switch failure; maintain, repair or replace exhaust fan systems, unit heaters, and ice machines as necessary.
- Digital Fire Detection/Prevention system: test and maintain self-diagnostic system with hidden failures, find and repair corrosion of sprinkler heads, leaks, no signal from detection system, breakages, replace parts, repair water damage, pull stations, smoke detectors, and troubleshoot ground faults.
- Boilers and other equipment and systems: assists in the maintenance, repair, and overhaul of a variety of piping for steam and hot water heating, refrigeration, etc., assists with installation of steam equipment such as boilers, water heaters, radiators, heat exchangers and accessories such as pumps, governors, traps and valves; diagnoses operating malfunctions and repairs equipment and piping systems.
- Provides locksmith services to all facilities. Installs mechanical and computerized locks; programs and maintains computerized door locks; repairs broken locks on doors, cabinets and desks; cuts keys using key machine.
- Tests, repairs, or replaces duress alarms devices and sensors; frequent inspection of hooks, straps, beams and supports for signs of overloading and excess stress
- Jail Security and Locking systems: maintenance and repair of manual pneumatic electric valves including control devices such as actuators -hydraulic, pneumatic or electric; test for leakage around stems and bonnets, debris and erosion, lubrication and corrosion inhibition; check and replace component parts and general maintenance on equipment; pneumatic tubing and control switches, Jail security gates and keys.
- Maintain and repair vacuum sewage system to include all manual, electronic and computerized controls; repair, replace, or rebuild, mechanical and electrical controls to individual prisoner cells and showers in high security and medical units, must be able shut down, test, clear and return system to service either by individual cells or units inside of pods; maintenance and repair of software and hardware used to control and monitor system.